Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bedrest

Well, it has happened...I was SO hoping to avoid it this pregnancy! I am officially on bedrest until this little girl arrives. My cervix has started to shorten and is beaking. I am still taking the P17 shots weekly and they seem to have kept contractions away, but for some reason my body is still misbehaving. At this point in Brady's pregnancy I had already been on bedrest for 6 weeks, I am thankful that I got 6 more weeks of being a "real" person, but I am still so disappointed.
I went for my ultrasound yesterday and as soon as they started to measure my cervix I saw it and knew what it meant. The high risk Dr. came in and talked to me and then sent me to my Dr's office. I cried the whole way there and had to drive around the blocks a couple of times to try and pull myself together. The minute I walked into her office though I started bawling. She said, "you know what this means, bedrest until you have her." She put me on the monitor to make sure I wasn't contracting, which thankfully I wasn't. I drove home bawling...
I hate bedrest, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! I know it is what I need to do to get Miss Aubree here healthy. I know that I will feel the same way I did with Brady once it is over. The minute you hold a healthy baby in your arms, you know as terrible as it is you would do it all over again. I have 12 weeks until my Dr. will let me off bedrest and not stop labor.
I am still a week away before Aubree reaches what they call viability. Meaning if she comes, they would try to help save her and she would have a chance at survival. This doesn't mean that she wouldn't have long term problems though as a result. Next week, they are going to give me steroid shots for her lungs to help mature them a little more quickly in case she does come early. They measured her yesterday and she is measuring 1 lb and 3 oz....way to small still (although normal for a 23 weeker) ! I have to be a human incubator for the next couple of months and grow this baby into a healthy 7 or 8 pound baby like her brother and sister.
I am so lucky to have such great support. I feel so guilty though. My husband is amazing...he has already stepped up, just like he had to last time. He works so hard, but now has to also kick into Mr. Mom, cook, taxi and all of the other jobs that I usually do for the kids. My sister has offered to do my grocery shopping for me. I am lucky that my parents and grandparents live close by. Last night they came and got the kids for a sleepover and brought us all banana splits for desert. Tonight Grannie is making us ribs for dinner.
I hate missing all of my kids activities. I remember when I was on bedrest with Brady I missed Rylee's dance performance and it broke my heart. This morning everyone is at Brady's football game and I keep getting teary eyed just thinking about it. I should be there!
Well, enough rambling for today....
I will post some really cute 3d pics we got at the ultrasound yesterday soon....

5 comments:

The McEnaney's said...

I am so sorry, but you are right it will so be worth it when little Aubree is healthy and strong and in your arms!

Stacie said...

Goodness Melissa :( I am sorry you have to deal with that. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to let me know. ((((HUGS))))

Anonymous said...

Hang in there my friends! I know your awesome little body an do this so I will be praying mostly for your sanity! Hang in there! You are an awesome mom!

Unknown said...

Melissa I am so sorry. I know its hard missing so much but you are right, it will all be work it in the end.

buddyandsarahaws said...

Im sorry. I know it must be hard missing out but so worth it in the long run. If you need help with anything or your kids let me know!