Thursday, May 8, 2008

Reflecting on the past week...

A week ago today the world lost and heaven gained an amazing woman. Over the past week there have been many emotions that I have felt. The first night was complete devastation. My "world" had never known true heartbreak and I felt it when I heard that grandma had officially passed. The uncontrollable sobbing, shaking and the feeling that someone was ripping my heart from me was unbearable. The next day was hopeful. My sister, Nate, Kayla, Taylor, the kids and I all went to the zoo. It helped to surround us with all of the "life" and to enjoy each other, I think that is exactly what Grandma would have wanted us to be doing that day. Since then I have felt many emotions, but the one that keeps coming up is gratefulness. I know my grandma isn't here anymore. No longer am I going to taste her mac n' cheese (although I am going to try to make it the best that I can so that my kids will remember it), I am going to miss her calling first thing in the morning on my birthday and sing the entire Happy Birthday, and so many other things. But I am so grateful to have had her in my life. To have had her house with wonderful memories as a child picking vegetables from the garden and making mud pies. I told Rylee the story of how great Grandma and Grandpas garden was and how we would love to pick the veggies and eat them. Rylee said, "Mom I think Grandma is making her garden now in heaven." Yesterday I told Nate I have heard Grandma's voice all day long. I could hear the messages on my answering machine that she would leave, "Meliss, this is Grand-MAW, give me a call would you please." or when ever she would see Brady she would clap her hand s together and say, "Hi there Brady Boy!" So many great-great memories and so much to be grateful for. I love you Grandma!

Joie "Irene" Ward of Phoenix passed away peacefully on Thursday evening May 1, 2008 comforted by her family. Irene was born in Rockholds, KY. August 1, 1921. She and her husband moved to Phoenix in 1946. She worked for the Woolworth/ Woolco company as a bookkeeper for 39 years. Irene is survived by the love of her life Norman and daughter Ann Paul (David). "Grandma Suzie" had a special bond with her granddaughters Debbie Lombardo (Chris), Kari Krecklow (Randy), great granddaughters Melissa Lord (Nate), Kristi Harris (Nick), Kayla Krecklow, Taylor Krecklow and great great grandchildren Rylee Lord, Brady Lord and Logan Harris, as well as many nieces, nephews and cousins. She is preceded in death by her parents and five brothers. The family would like to thank Hospice of the Valley and the staff at Leland Manor for their care and kindness to our loved one. Contributions in Irene's memory can be made to Hospice of the Valley 777 W. Southern Ave. Suite 301, Bldg. C, Mesa, AZ. 85210. At Irene and Normans request no services are being held.
Published in The Arizona Republic on 5/6/2008.


Nate and I have decided that we are going to plant a remembrance tree in the backyard. We are going to get stepping stones for the kids to decorate of our loved ones that we will remember and a concrete bench to set under it, so that the kids can read books or just go and sit under it to remember.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to remember such a special person.

Anonymous said...

Melis, I am so sorry for your loss! I know that this kind of stuff can be so hard to deal with but know you're in out prayers! And the tree is such a cool idea!

Harris Family said...

Why didn't you warn me about this post?!? :) We may have to do a tree too...

Mandy said...

I think the tree is a great idea! I am still praying for you guys those kind if memories aren't easily forgotten. love you girl!